[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] accessibility and xhtml/html5 xsl
Hi Giuseppe,The DocBook developers are interested in making DocBook output more accessible. If you manage to create customizations that improve accessibility and are willing to share them, I could incorporate the changes into the base stylesheets for future releases. Any changes that appear to not be backwards compatible I would probably control with a new stylesheet parameter ($maximize.accessibility or something ).
Bob Stayton Sagehill Enterprises bobs@sagehill.net----- Original Message ----- From: "Giuseppe Bonelli" <peppo.bonelli@gmail.com>
To: "apps docbook" <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org> Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:58 AM Subject: [docbook-apps] accessibility and xhtml/html5 xsl
Hi,
I am working on an epub(3) accessibility project and therefore I have
had a look at the html5 generated by the latest docbook xslt.
Looking at the html5 generated by the epub3 xsl, I see some tagging
patterns that are not quite accessible, like the use of <span
class="italic"> or of structure in the titlepages like:
<body>
<div class="sect1" title="foo" epub:type="subchapter">
<div class="titlepage">
<div>
<div>
<h2 class="title" style="clear: both" id="idp17104">
Both of these examples are probably going to confuse screen readers
and other assistive technologies.
If I remember correctly, the h2 used for section1 titles (therefore
missing the h1 level) derives from how the xhtml stylesheets have been
built years ago, so I guess it is not trivial to correct this
behavior. And I think also the tables will need some reworking (like
the use of scope and headers attributes for td/th).
My question is: what is the best approach to have a better accessible
and semantically structured html5 output (particularly for epub3
output)?
The two approach that come to my mind are:
* yet another customization layer;
* a postprocessing phase done externally of the docbook toolchain by
means of a python script or the like.
Opinions?
Thanks,
__peppo
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-apps-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-apps-help@lists.oasis-open.org
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]