docbook-apps message
[Date Prev]
| [Thread Prev]
| [Thread Next]
| [Date Next]
--
[Date Index]
| [Thread Index]
| [List Home]
Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Indexing.
- From: PC Thoms <pcthoms@gmail.com>
- To: davep <davep@dpawson.co.uk>
- Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 09:22:16 -0230
Hi Dave
Mulvany's text is an excellent indexing manual.
I have indexed books using docbook and TEI.
And my preference is docbook.
I did made a note to for myself some time back that an <indexterm> inside a footnote caused an error. I was using oXygenXML v12 at the time. Not sure if this is still the case.
I did have a problem with the placement of the <indexterm> but that was answered at:
Whitespace around <indexterm> may affect placement of the IDs in PDFs generated.
Here are two examples of the <indexterm> that have worked for me.
<!-- SIMPLE INDEX ENTRY EXAMPLE -->
SHAKESPEARE<indexterm><primary>Shakespeare</primary></indexterm>
<!-- STARTOFRANGE TO ENDOFRANGE -->
<indexterm class="startofrange" xml:id="aaa1">
<primary sortas="
Shakespeare ">The Shakespeare</primary>
</indexterm>
. . . .
. . . .
<indexterm class="endofrange" startref="aaa1" />
Overall I have been pretty satisfied indexing with docbook.
And Dave, I know you are familiar with Bob Sagehill's book which has the following:
Indexing an e-text it is very easy to over index. Generally an indexer is allotted a limited number of pages for an index, but in an e-text what's a few more bits. A bigger index does not mean a better index.
Happy Indexing
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 4:40 AM, davep
<davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
I'm about to start indexing a db5 book.
Reading up on the subject(Nancy C. Mulvany) and wondered if anyone has
been there and done that, got the tee-shirt and found the pitfalls in docbook? Any advice from those with lots of experience of using
db indexes please?
regards
--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
http://www.dpawson.co.uk
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-apps-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]open.org
[Date Prev]
| [Thread Prev]
| [Thread Next]
| [Date Next]
--
[Date Index]
| [Thread Index]
| [List Home]