[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Re: [openc2] RE: OpenC2 document structure
|
Hi Joe, Appreciate the detailed thoughts on this. Would take this opportunity to share some of my thoughts around the points that you mentioned. So far,discussions have focused on the actuator and orchestrator, and the fundamental
premise has been that actuators communicate to orchestrators directly; and actuator profile provides all necessary information to the orchestrator to enable C&C. This, of course works fine.
A device profile, the way I see it, is metadata about an logical openc2 “agent” on a device. Having an agent that encapsulates transport, authc, authz, integrity, whatever ; and provides a single service interface to all
actuators on the device has logistical benefits. My suggestion is to view the ecosystem as orchestrator
à device
à actuator semantics vis-à-vis the orchestratoràactuator semantics. This separation of concerns is highly useful from a practical standpoint. At the same time, collapsing the device and actuator into one as
a special case gives us what we have right now, as a direct orchestrator
à actuator semantics Specific to the example that you mention >The ACME company may have a product that has routing function, DIT analytic function, static filtering functions etc. Is the proposal that we standardize an ACME profile? My ‘instinct’ states that a bottoms
up approach is better. Look at the device profiles and identify the ‘functional blocks’ to standardize and strive for a disjoint sets. Devices are likely to have multiple actuator profiles. No… we standardize a device profile that makes it possible to publish the capabilities of an “agent” on the device. For example, the transport (port/protocol etc) , authc/authz (oidc, mtls, user/pass), any logical device id/address etc.
And we standardize the actuator profile(s) the way we are doing currently; but include additional information / semantics for it to use the device profile information and to bind to the agent on the device. This is in line with devices having multiple actuator
profiles. For the other point about bootstrap and the draft profiles, I think we need to both. While we have traction on the profiles, it would be good to flesh out the bootstrap process. I can volunteer to put up an initial proposal towards bootstrapping
an actuator into an openc2 ecosystem. Hopefully this sounds logical and makes sense, glad to be part of the conversation…
Regards -Sudeep From: "Brule, Joseph M" <jmbrule@radium.ncsc.mil>
Mr. Das, I read your “OpenC2 abstractions and implementations”.
Thank you, what a clear and concise document and read through your email and (with minor discrepancies) agreed with your points.
Despite the fact that I agree with essentially everything you bring up, interestingly enough I do not see the necessity of the so called ‘device profile’
within the TC, though I do hope that we see vendors and mission owners aggressively produce ‘device profiles’.
Here is my logic or lack thereof:
I really want to make this clear: We (in general the TC, in particular the AP-SC) need to create an actuator profile writing guide, and I hope that the
mission owners and vendors produce ‘device profiles’. Here is where we might have a disagreement: I do not think we should ‘standardize’ the device profile. The ACME company may have a product that has routing function, DIT analytic function, static filtering
functions etc. Is the proposal that we standardize an ACME profile? My ‘instinct’ states that a bottoms up approach is better. Look at the device profiles and identify the ‘functional blocks’ to standardize and strive for a disjoint sets. Devices are
likely to have multiple actuator profiles. Regarding your points ‘b’ and ‘c’ which you also discussed in your document, I agree in principle that we would want a ‘basic’ stack implemented so we can
bootstrap the device when it first comes on for purposes of registration etc. In fact, if I read your paper correctly, we should look into whether or not we can have an inband initialization/ negotiation process. I do in fact agree, but my question to you
is, at this point we only have two draft profiles (neither of which have been submitted to the TC yet) and do not have a draft implementation spec yet. Should we leverage some of the existing work being done in the repositories now? Or should we pursue the
bootstrapping first? Your email (and Duncan and Dave) really stimulated thoughts, thank you! VR Joe Brule
From: openc2@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2@lists.oasis-open.org>
On Behalf Of Das, Sudeep From a practical and implementation standpoint, I think Duncan’s points are spot on. My reasoning would be
Having joined openc2 recently, I have struggled with the “out of scope” nature of key touch points in a command and control ecosystem. I have tried to summarize some of the big picture out of scope items at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XdGkHvgHn7JXJYnlyqNOqx29QabZVFHLi-T7D4rF4OE , inspired mostly by Danny Martinez’s previous outline on open questions and items.
Back to the primary question: Yes, a device profile makes sense. Not just that, it’s likely imperative that such a thing existed. Semantically, a device profile would include the so called out of scope items, as well as one or more actuator profiles -Sudeep From: <openc2@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> "...a meaningful difference in the types of content needed between an actuator profile and a device profile ..." My reason for asking was just that question - do we need something that aggregates the transport and actuator profiles
for a device. Is AP sufficient? My gut is that AP is not sufficient but I'll happily drop concept of device profile if it is. It came out from the fact in all my examples there is a device I'm describing by listing the specs involved. If only humans need DP
for understanding purposes, then drop the concept. If something needs that info in realtime to make a decision, then we do need it. Maybe it's nothing more than the response to a particular query and device profile is just a term to help humans know what a
device does. > "what APs and transport specs a device conforms to is a configuration activity that's outside the scope of OpenC2" I would argue it's inside the scope if we really want to get eventually to responding at cyber speed. If humans have
to get involved with configurations then it will not be cyberspeed. For some (clearly not all) applications, introspection (ie the automagically figuring out what functionality exists, or could exist at what cost) will be needed.
> "And if the device vendor is really bringing a new function to the table, isn't that a request for a change to the
L-Spec to incorporate a new action(s)?" We have literally hundreds of security functions we do not yet profiles for; yet real products exist. To my knowledge,
we have the actions we need for all of them. Maybe time will cause us to add something but I maintain we have the vast majority covered and someone could start making AP's for all of them now. I think it will be hard and take awhile for us to standardize on
the 'specification' AP for (pick any one of IDS, IPS, NGFW, URL Filter, Deception, IADM, WebProxy, ...). Yet we we could come up today with the 'extension' AP for a snort-IDS, Palo Alto NGFW, Attivo Deception, Symantec WebProxy, etc. Ie let's deal with some
very explicit profile extensions for specific existing high runner (or low runner, whatever anyone wants to do) devices.
Note my email came about because I yelled at some people they should be making actuator profiles and the ensuing discussions
are what led to this email thread. Partly it was they couldn't look at our stuff and figure out the big picture (hence the document structure questions). And partly it was not knowing where to start since their 'profile' wasn't one we were working on (hence
the extension part of the discussion). My gut is we (both the vendors and the users doing it for the vendors who don't do it themselves) should be making
lots of 'custom' profiles for anything users are already using in their networks. I don't want people holding back and thinking for example an IDS can't use OpenC2 because we don't have a specification for an OpenC2 IDS Actuator Profile. You should be able
to do a custom extension today. We should be doing it to prove we can. If we can't, then we should fix whatever is wrong. We have some chicken/egg issues and I don't want the slow progress on AP specifications to impede getting the custom extensions going.
Duncan Sparrell sFractal Consulting LLC iPhone, iTypo, iApologize
--------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS TC that generates this mail. Follow this link to all your TCs
in OASIS at: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/portal/my_workgroups.php
|
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]