[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Subject: Re: Issue: are <optional>, <oneOrMore>, <zeroOrMore> verbose?
>It won't surprise you to learn that I like things as they are. Here
>are my reasons:
I did mention attributes, since they are used by XML Schema and RELAX
Core. However, I do not think that they are nice. It has a number of
drawbacks as you pointed out (its only advantage is that it is less
verbose). On the other hand, I do think that
<optional>
<attribute name="foo">
...
</attribute>
</optional>
is verbose, especially when this is repeated again and again (how do
others feel?). You put two start tags in the same line. When the
attribute element has a child, the result (see below) will look strange.
<optional><attribute name="foo">
...
</attribute></optional>
Here are some suggestions.
1) a new keyword (syntax sugar)
<optionalAttribute name="foo">
...
</optionalAttribute>
which is equivalent to:
<optional>
<attribute name="foo">
...
</attribute>
</optional>
2) recommends a convention in the tutorial
<zeroOrMore>
<choice>
<attribute name="foo1">
...
</attribute>
<attribute name="foo2">
...
</attribute>
<attribute name="foo3">
...
</attribute>
<attribute name="foo3">
...
</attribute>
...
</zeroOrMore>
Note: this does not work when we have both optional and
mandatory attributes.
Cheers,
Makoto
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Powered by eList eXpress LLC