xacml — archive
[Date Prev]
| [Thread Prev]
| [Thread Next]
| [Date Next]
— [Date Index]
| [Thread Index]
| [Month Index]
| [List Home]
RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
MHonArc v2.5.0b2 -->xacml message
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Anne Anderson <[email protected]>
- To: Seth Proctor <[email protected]>
- Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:17:26 -0400
On 26 August, Seth Proctor writes: RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype > > > Separate from that, I think it's really late in the game to talk about > > > breaking compatibility with these functions. > > > > That's right. Changing them would break backwards compatibility. > > > > However, it would still be nice to have functions that took restricted > > types for arguments so that they may be type checked. > > I agree. I think this is part of the recent discussions around IP > addreses, regexp expressions, etc. too. > > > > I do not think we should change the parameters now, > > > > Agreed. > > Ok. I agree that we should not break backwards compatibility with existing functions. Yet I think "string to be interpreted as an XPath expression" does not give implementers or policy writers sufficient type checking capability. I can also see extension functions defined that would use an "xpath-expression" datatype, and those would not necessarily be for hierarchical resources. I suggest we extend the definition of the existing XPath-based functions in A.3.14 to accept EITHER "...#string" OR "...:xpath-expression", and indicate that "...#string" is deprecated. And then leave the definition of the "...:xpath-expression" datatype in the core specification. This does not break backwards compatibility. Another option would be to re-define the XPath-based functions in A.3.14 with new identifiers: urn:oasis:names:gc:xacml:2.0:..., and then change the definitions to use "...:xpath-expression". Then 2.0 implementations that are backwards compatible can continue to support the 1.0 versions, but the 2.0 versions can be strongly typed. Anne -- Anne H. Anderson Email: [email protected] Sun Microsystems Laboratories 1 Network Drive,UBUR02-311 Tel: 781/442-0928 Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA Fax: 781/442-1692
- Follow-Ups:
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Polar Humenn <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Seth Proctor <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- References:
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Tim Moses <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Seth Proctor <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Polar Humenn <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Seth Proctor <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Polar Humenn <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Seth Proctor <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Polar Humenn <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
- From: Seth Proctor <[email protected]>
- RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
[Date Prev]
| [Thread Prev]
| [Thread Next]
| [Date Next]
— [Date Index]
| [Thread Index]
| [Month Index]
| [List Home]